Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Kiss my Quiche



We're trying to ramp up our food blogging once again after our year-long absence, due to our now 20-month old BostonTwins.

Juggling childcare between both parents and a part-time nanny proved to be detrimental to our foodie blog - but since our move the Mom is now staying at home. This does not mean that I have more time for food-blogging - caring for these 2 buggers is hard work...most times harder than going to work believe it or not. But, here and there, I'll find some time in between naps and diaper changes to post some new recipes!


I had never made a quiche before, but I thought, hey, I'm a happy little homemaker now! I just put on my apron and got to work!
  1. Bring 1 refrigerated pie crust to room temp and preheat oven to 350F. Sautee one small onion (diced) in some olive oil for 6-8 minutes until translucent. Set aside to cool.


  2. Beat 8 eggs in a large bowl until frothy.



  3. Fold in the following: 1 tsp fresh thyme, 1 tsp fresh chiffonade of basil, 6oz of well drained thawed frozen spinach, 6oz. shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, and your cooled onions. I got to use fresh herbs that I have growing outside in containers...we were too late moving into our new house to start a garden -- next year!






  4. Season with 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper and just a pinch of salt.


  5. Place crust into 9" pie plate, trim edges and pour in egg mixture.


  6. Bake for 50-55 minutes until top is just starting to brown and a toothpick comes out clean in the center.

This quiche was fabulous. Or at least I think it was! I really haven't eaten tons of quiche, so I'm unsure as to how it was supposed to taste -- but it was certainly a new favorite of mine. One thing that did happen was all the green stuff floated into the top 2/3...not sure why...if you know, leave a comment! Serve with a field green salad or some fruit!

No comments: