Monday, February 27, 2012

Perfect Hard Boiled Egg


The perfect hard-boiled egg.  For me, having a cooked egg in the fridge is the start of a good day.  It's a healthy and quick way to get some protein punch, and with only 70 calories, it really is a dieter's friend.  If overcooked the egg can get a greenish yolk with a dry powdery texture - and that, my friends, is not good eats.  Follow my lead and your yolks will be just cooked - golden and creamy, and well, perfect!

  1. Place eggs in a pot.
  2. Cover with cold water.
  3. Put on stove and bring to a rolling boil.
  4. Immediately cover and take the pot off the burner.
  5. Set timer for EXACTLY 12 minutes.
  6. Rinse a few times with cold water to halt the cooking process.
  7. EAT!  Or store in the fridge for up to a week.


I like to crumble my egg up and put it on a slice of whole wheat bread with mayo, baby romaine and S&P.  Delish!


3 comments:

Carole said...

Good post. After years of experimentation I finally worked out how to get consistently good results when boiling eggs - very similar approach to you http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/how-to-boil-egg.html

Maryhttp://healthylifestyleideas.wordpress.com/ Poulin said...

hi there. I haven't checked out your blog in awhile. I'll have to catch up. This is Mary over in NH. I used to have a blog called maryskitchenadventures.blogspot.com
I moved to a new blog world, check it out if you want...

http://healthylifestyleideas.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

I saw that method on PBS one day and have not cooked my hard boiled eggs any other way since. I find the only time they start to change colour is when they sit in the fridge for the full week! Other than that, they are always perfect!