Friday, February 24, 2012

Pork Lo Mein


So what to do with all that super tender pork butt you made the other night?  This time around I decided to go in an Asian direction.  With no Chinese restaurants in my town, I often get that craving for some MSG (oops! I mean umami).  Pork Lo mein to the rescue!  This is a great recipe to use with chicken, beef or tofu as well.  So get your woks out and let's begin!



  • 2 cups leftover pork butt (or leftover roast chicken, or tofu, or beef)
  • 2 cups bok choy, sliced
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2/3 cup carrots, sliced
  • 6oz sliced mushrooms
  • 8oz sliced water chestnuts
  • low sodium soy sauce
  • chili garlic sauce
  • corn starch
  • sesame oil
  • 1 tsp splenda
  • dry sherry (use rice wine (not rw vinegar) if you have it)
  • garlic clove, minced
  • half a box whole wheat spaghetti, cooked al dente

Lo mein recipes generally call for oyster sauce which I did not have, so I searched the internet for a substitute.  A lot of people actually look for vegetarian "oyster" sauces, which incorporates mushrooms and soy sauce, so I used that concept as inspiration.  I pulsed a couple ounces of sliced mushrooms with 1 tsp splenda and a couple tbsp low sodium soy sauce until it had the consistency of a very thin milkshake.


Before I started the stir-fry, I assembled my sauce:
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp mock oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
  • minced garlic
  • 1 tsp dry sherry
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch


  1. Pre-heat your wok over medium to medium high heat.  Wait until it's hot, and then add a light coating of olive oil.
  2. Stir-fry the vegetables starting with the carrots and onions first. Sautee 3 minutes.
  3. Add in the mushrooms, cook for 3 minutes
  4. Add the bok choy, the water chestnuts and the pork and cook for 4 minutes.
  5. Add your sauce, continue cooking for a couple more minutes and then add your cooked pasta.
  6. Serve!  I like to have soy sauce and the chili garlic on the table so everyone can add their own finishing touch!

No comments: