Monday, April 02, 2007

Braised Brussel Sprouts with Bacon



The salad bar in my cafeteria at work has played host to brussel sprouts for the past few months and I scoop them up whenever I don’t pack a lunch. I’m not sure of their cooking method, but however they do it leaves hardly a trace of bitterness. The only way that I’ve ever had them at home was frozen, and then I would just thaw them and sautee them in a bit of butter or oil. This time, I decided to buy them in the raw and see if I could master the art of the sprouts.

I rendered about 3-4 strips of diced bacon in our dutch oven, adding 1 small diced onion about 10 minutes in. After the onions softened, I removed both the bacon and the onions from the pan and wiped out most of the drippings. I had about a pound of brussel sprouts which I had rinsed, trimmed the stems and halve lengthwise through the stem.



I added some olive oil to the pan and sautéed the sprouts for a few minutes before adding 2 cups of chicken stock (not quite covering the tops of the sprouts), a bay leaf and some S&P. I returned the bacon and onions to the pot and let everyone simmer for about 15 minutes.

They weren’t mushy and even my husband liked them enough to eat several! The only thing I would’ve done differently would be to reserve some crunchy bacon to serve on top after they’re plated. We had some DELICIOUS grilled ribeye steaks along with some grilled sweet potato fries with the sprouts. The sweetness of the fries and the slight bitterness of the sprouts played off each other really well!

4 comments:

sher said...

We eat a lot of brussels sprouts in our house. I hated them when I was younger, but my husband loves them, so I've developed an affection for them. Your recipe looks great. How can you go wrong with bacon!

sher said...

We eat a lot of brussels sprouts in our house. I hated them when I was younger, but my husband loves them, so I've developed an affection for them. Your recipe looks great. How can you go wrong with bacon!

Pyewacket said...

Hi! This is Kathleen, otherwise known as pyewacket from The Seasonal Cook and NewEnglandGrown. Along with Helen of Beyond Salmon and Joan of Urban Agrarian, I'm organizing a potluck for Boston food bloggers. This will be very casual, just at my apartment in Cambridge, with people bringing either home-cooked or purchased food as they wish. We're planning on Saturday, May 5, at 7:00. Please let me know if you would like to join us - just email me at kjweldon AT yahoo DOT com

Ovandenberg said...

Awesome bllog you have here