Friday, May 18, 2007

Three Bean Salad



Unbeknownst to me, M LOVES 3 bean salad! (Ed note: we've been together for 7.5 years) And why wouldn’t he... it’s flavorful, healthy and full of protein. My only problem with it is that recipes for 3 bean salad call for lots of sugar, but I figured I could make my own version of this classic using a little sugar and a little Splenda and still get a delicious salad out of the deal.

1 can of red kidney beans and 1 can of garbanzo beans were rinsed and added to 1 can of green and wax beans. I thinly sliced (super thin!) some red onion – about a quarter of the onion, and also threw in some finely diced celery for some added crunch. I used 1 rib, but next time, I may use 2 and a bit more onion. I also chopped up about a handful of flat-leaf parsley and added that to the salad as well.

On to the dressing. I really just eyeballed everything, but here are some approximates…1 tbs sugar, 3 tbs Splenda, 1 or 1.5 cups cider vinegar, 1 tsp celery seed, 1 tsp dill weed, a few pinches of salt and some cracked peppercorn. Mix this up with a couple splashes EVOO and throw over the salad to marinate. Although it can be eaten right away, much better after a couple hours in the fridge, and even super tastier overnight!



We had ours with some grilled corn and marinated steak tips - a great summer dinner!



2 comments:

sher said...

3 bean salad can fabulous or odious. I love a good recipe and yours loks very good, not drowning in sugar.

Boston Chef said...

Thanks, Sher... Adding the onion, celery, and parsley - and minimizing the sugar - made the salad crisp and fresh tasting. But it was still definitely 3 bean salad!

The next day it was even better (but it doesn't last too long after that)... we're looking forward to taking this salad for this summer's camping trips!