Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Olive Oil Pumpkin Bread


I was recently lent an issue of Fine Cooking magazine - and immediately decided that I had to make every single recipe in it. I haven't made them all yet, but I started out with this one that really spoke to me. Ellie Krieger is a nutritionist who hosts a show on the Food Network. I've always loved her healthier recipes, so this one for olive oil pumpkin bread made my mouth water!



I'm not a baker, but this recipe was simple and easy. I'm also watching my carbs, so the addition of whole wheat flour was particularly enticing.

Cooking spray 
3-1/4 oz. (3/4 cup) whole wheat flour 
3 oz. (2/3 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour 
1 tsp. ground cinnamon 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. baking powder 
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg 
1/4 tsp. table salt 
2 large eggs 
1 cup canned pumpkin purée 
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar 
1/3 cup olive oil 
1/3 cup honey 
2 Tbs. unsalted pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas; optional) -- I didn't have any!

  1. Put a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk both flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, sugar, oil, and honey until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a large spoon just until evenly incorporated.
  4. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter. Sprinkle the top with the pumpkin seeds (if using), pressing them down lightly. Bake until the top is browned and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. (If the bread begins to brown too much before it’s fully baked, lay a piece of aluminum foil on top.)
  5. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then transfer the bread to a rack to cool completely before slicing.
  6. Enjoy cool or re-warmed for 10 seconds in the microwave!


No comments: